You'll need to apply for a security clearance (SC) licence if you're wanting to have unsupervised access to explosives or security sensitive dangerous substances (SSDS).
The licence is valid for 5 years and allows you to work for a supervising licensee who holds the appropriate explosives or SSDS licences.
An SC licence doesn't allow you to obtain, possess, transport, use or handle explosives or SSDS in your own right.
- be 18 years old or over
- pass the national criminal history check.
What you need
- access to a printer
- your personal and contact details
- the application fee
- your proof of identity (100 points, as detailed on the application form)
- 2 passport size photos with your name and date of birth on the back of each photo
- your reason for requesting the licence
- your employer's details (if applicable)
- the PDF form, 'Security clearance application'.
How to apply
- Download, print and complete the Security clearance application – PDF.
- Collect all the required documents including your proof of identity.
- Lodge your application with payment, at your nearest Australia Post office.
- As an SC licence holder you must comply with the general explosive licence and security clearance conditions under the NSW Explosives Act and regulation.
- You must advise SafeWork NSW of any changes to your licence or your contact details, within 14 days.
You'll need to hold an SC licence if you intend to apply for an explosives or pyrotechnician's licence.
Last updated: 1 April 2022