A Special Mobility Vehicle (SMV) learner rider licence lets you ride SMVs, such as a Nippi, with the special condition that you must only ride SMVs.
As an SMV learner rider, you can apply directly for a learner rider licence. You won’t need to do any pre-learner or pre-provisional rider training.
What you’ll need
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Visit a service centre and submit the completed form.
- Pick up a medical report form at the service centre and return it once it's completed by your doctor.
- Pass your SMV knowledge test.
- Pass your eyesight test.
- Pay your learner rider licence fee.
- You’ll need to be at least 16 years and 9 months old to apply for an SMV learner rider licence.
Things to keep in mind
- If you’ve previously held another type of driver or rider licence, you may be exempt from some requirements.