Back to top

If you're a landlord, agent or tenant involved in a tenancy dispute, you can apply online to have the matter heard by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Tenancy disputes heard by NCAT can relate to:

  • rental bonds
  • rent increases
  • unpaid rent
  • termination of a residential tenancy agreement
  • compensation
  • repairs
  • other breaches of the tenancy agreement.

Before lodging an application, please refer your complaint to NSW Fair Trading who will provide you with further information on the available options.

Apply online
  • your personal details
  • documents and information related to your dispute
  • the legal name and contact details of the person or organisation you're claiming against (respondent)
  • a current business name or company extract from ASIC (if applicable)
  • your Rental Bond Number (if applicable)
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your credit card details
  • your payment.
Apply online
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Complete the online application form and attach all relevant documents (allow about 30 minutes).
  4. Pay the application fee using your credit card.
  5. Read and confirm the declaration.

If your application is urgent, or you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete one of the following:
  2. Attach your supporting documents.
  3. Lodge your completed application with payment at a service centre.
Apply online

Tenants, landlords or agents:

  • who have a tenancy dispute of a serious nature
  • who've not been able to resolve their dispute through NSW Fair Trading.

You're not eligible if you're a:

  • hotel and/or motel, boarder, lodger, protected tenancy, or commercial or retail tenancy.
Apply online
  • After lodging an application with NCAT you can expect a first hearing within 3 weeks for matters concerning orders for termination, or within 4 weeks for all other matters.
  • NCAT has jurisdiction to determine tenancy disputes up to $30,000 for rental bond matters and $15,000 in respect of any other matter.
  • If you're unable to pay the fee, and/or ineligible for the concession fee, NCAT may consider waiving the fee fully or partially.
Apply online

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: