If you'd like to apply for a tow truck driver certificate or an operator licence, you'll need to lodge the relevant application form with NSW Fair Trading.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- your driver licence (unrestricted)
- the PDF form – 'Application for Tow Truck Operators Licence', and:
- certificate of currency for public liability insurance (place of business and holding yard/s)
- certificate of currency for on hook insurance for each vehicle operated
- copy of current Transport for NSW certificate of registration for each vehicle operated
- latest annual company statement with shareholder and director details
- printout of interstate/overseas criminal record/s (if applicable)
- proof of ownership for holding yard/s (rate notice or lease agreement)
- copy of lease agreement for any vehicles not owned by the applicant
- certificate of incorporation
- registration of business name for trading name/s.
- the PDF form – 'Application for Tow Truck Drivers Certificate', and:
- 2 passport size photographs
- interstate or overseas criminal history and traffic record (if applicable).
How to apply
- Download and complete either:
- Gather all the required documentation supporting your application.
- Post your application to the address on the form.
- If you make false or misleading statements or falsify any documentation, your application may be refused.
- If Fair Trading refuses your application, you will be advised of the reasons. You will also be informed of any rights you may have to appeal a decision.
Last updated: 1 December 2022