Text size


If you'd like to apply for a tow truck driver certificate or an operator licence, you'll need to lodge the relevant application form with NSW Fair Trading.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • your driver licence (unrestricted)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Tow Truck Operators Licence', and:
    • certificate of currency for public liability insurance (place of business and holding yard/s)
    • certificate of currency for on hook insurance for each vehicle operated
    • copy of current Transport for NSW certificate of registration for each vehicle operated
    • latest annual company statement with shareholder and director details
    • printout of interstate/overseas criminal record/s (if applicable)
    • proof of ownership for holding yard/s (rate notice or lease agreement)
    • copy of lease agreement for any vehicles not owned by the applicant
    • certificate of incorporation
    • registration of business name for trading name/s.
  • or
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Tow Truck Drivers Certificate', and:
    • 2 passport size photographs
    • interstate or overseas criminal history and traffic record (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Download and complete either:
  2. Gather all the required documentation supporting your application.
  3. Post your application to the address on the form.

More information

  • If you make false or misleading statements or falsify any documentation, your application may be refused. 
  • If Fair Trading refuses your application, you will be advised of the reasons. You will also be informed of any rights you may have to appeal a decision. 

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

You'll be taken to another website.