With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


You need to appoint a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) if your business is going to prepare and sell food or drinks that are:

  • ready to eat or drink
  • potentially hazardous (that is, temperature-controlled), and
  • not sold or served in the supplier’s original packaging.

Some examples of businesses that will need an FSS are:

  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • takeaway shops
  • caterers
  • bakeries, and
  • hot food sales.

Your FSS will need to be trained by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). You can find an RTO online through the NSW Food Authority website.


Any business, whether ongoing or temporary, that sells ready-to-consume, potentially hazardous food or drink must appoint an FSS.

You don’t need an FSS if:

  • you already have a licence with the NSW Food Authority, or
  • you’re selling coffee but only need to heat milk.

What you need

You’ll need an FSS. An FSS is somebody at your business who:

  • is trained by an RTO to recognise and prevent risks associated with food handling in a retail food business
  • holds a current food safety supervisor certificate which is less than 5 years old
  • is not a supervisor for any other food business (fixed or mobile), and
  • is able to train and supervise other people in your business about safe food handling practices.

How to appoint

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Make sure you have all the information you need.
  3. Choose an FSS for your business.
  4. Have the FSS demonstrate the required competency skills through an RTO.
  5. The RTO will give the FSS a Statement of Attainment and an FSS Certificate.
  6. Keep the FSS Certificate at your place of business at all times.
  7. Make sure the FSS gets refresher training from an RTO every 5 years.

More information

  • you can be fined a penalty for not appointing an FSS, and
  • you can be fined for not keeping your FSS certificate at your place of business.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88

You'll be taken to another website.