The Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) is a computer-based test about road safety and the NSW road rules. You need to pass the DKT to get your learner driver licence.
You can study for and practise the DKT online.
DKT tests are taken at a Service NSW Centre.
There is a fee attached to the test and you have to pay it each time you book. For example if:
- you fail the DKT and have to sit it again, or
- your learner licence expires and you want to reapply for it.
To take the DKT, you must:
- be aged 16 or over
- live in NSW.
What you need
To book your DKT, you'll need:
- your name and date of birth, or
- your NSW Photo Card number (if you have one)
- your payment (unless you're eligible for a fee waiver).
When you visit a service centre to take the DKT, you'll need:
- a completed Licence Application – PDF
- your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
- proof of identity documentation.
Note: Original paper documents that have been laminated and commemorative certificates not accepted as proof of identity.
How to book
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Book online' button.
- Enter the required details as:
- an existing RMS/TfNSW customer (if you have a NSW Photo Card), or
- a first time customer.
- Follow the prompts to book a DKT.