A NSW Photo Card may be used as photo identification if you don't have a NSW Driver Licence. It has the same application process as the driver licence, and some of the same security features.

The Photo Card may be accepted as identification in most places a driver licence is recognised, however cannot be used as a form of identification for some online applications.

You can hold both a driver licence and a Photo Card if you wish. You may be able to use the Photo Card to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.

Visit a service centre and apply in person for your Photo Card, and if you apply for or renew your driving licence at the same time, you'll pay a reduced fee.

Note: There are also concessions for pensioners and carers.


You must be:

  • a NSW resident
  • aged 16 or over
  • able to provide acceptable proof of identity documents.

You may be eligible for a free NSW Photo Card if you have one of the following:

  • NSW Seniors Card
  • NSW Pensioner Concession Card issued by Services Australia or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
  • DVA Veteran Gold Card printed with one of the following:
    • TPI
    • EDA
    • War Widow or War Widower
  • letter from the DVA confirming one of the following:
    • you receive a Disability Compensation Payment at the 70% rate or higher
    • you receive a Disability Compensation Payment at the Intermediate rate
    • you've been assessed at 50 or more impairment points. 
  • Centrelink Carer Allowance.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'NSW Photo Card Application'
  • if you don't have a NSW Driver Licence or your expired Photo Card, you'll need:
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your payment (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the NSW Photo Card Application – PDF.
  2. Gather your driving licence or expired Photo Card, or the necessary identity documents.
  3. Visit a service centre to have your photo taken, and submit your application.

More information

  • If you apply for a Photo Card at the same time as you apply for, or renew, your driver licence, you'll pay a reduced fee for the Photo Card.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but if you don't have any other kind of photo identification, you may find it useful. It is valid for 5 years (or 10 years for eligible customers aged 21 and over).
  • If you haven’t received your Photo Card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • There may be some situations where you will not be able to use a NSW Photo Card in place of a NSW Driver Licence. Always check the proof of identity requirements for details.
  • When you get your photo taken at a service centre, follow these photo guidelines to make sure the result is acceptable.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 15 November 2022

Rate the information on the page