DKT online is now available

You can now complete the DKT at home or wherever you can get online.

Take the online test as many times as you need for the one test fee. 

Find out more about DKT online.


You can make a booking to take the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) in-person at a Service NSW Centre.

Once you pass the DKT you can apply for your learner driver licence.

The DKT in-person is available in Arabic, Simplied Chinese, Croatian, English, Greek, Korean, Serbian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese. Interpreter and other support is also available.

If you live with a disability, make an appointment with your medical specialist before you go to the service centre. They will be able to advise you if any additional information will be required, such as a medical assessment.

You must take the DKT in-person at a service centre if you:

  • are applying for a higher class of licence (R, LR, MR, HR, HC or MC), or
  • have been refused, suspended or disqualified from driving.

If these conditions don't apply to you, you can take the DKT online.


To take the DKT in-person, you must:

  • be aged 16 or over
  • live in NSW
  • pass an eyesight test
  • be medically fit to drive.

What you need

To book your DKT in-person, you'll need:

  • your name and date of birth, or your NSW Photo Card number (if you have one)
  • your payment (unless you're eligible for a fee waiver).

When you visit a service centre to take the DKT, you'll need: 

Note: Original paper documents that have been laminated and commemorative certificates not accepted as proof of identity.

How to book

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Book online' button.
  3. Enter the required details as:
    • an existing RMS/TfNSW customer (if you have a NSW Photo Card), or
    • a first time customer.
  4. Follow the prompts to book a DKT.

More information


  • There is a fee attached to the test and you have to pay it each time you book. For example if:
    • you fail the DKT and have to sit it again, or
    • your learner licence expires and you want to reapply for it.
  • You may not have to pay the fee if you are:
    • required to operate a class LR, MR, HR or HC vehicle and are employed by or volunteer with the:
      • State Emergency Service (SES)
      • NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS), or
      • NSW Volunteer Rescue Association (VRA).
  • a participant in the Driver Licensing Access Program
  • undertaking the DKT within a Correctional Centre or Juvenile Justice Centre.

Extra support

  • If you're from disadvantaged background or Aboriginal community the Driver Licensing Access Program can help you in your journey to getting a licence.
  • The Get licensed, get legal, get work program helps with the literacy, numeracy and computer skills needed to pass.
  • Additional needs – if you have trouble reading test questions our staff can assist by reading the questions and explaining them to you.
Last updated: 9 July 2024

Rate the information on the page