If you're the registered operator of a vehicle, you can cancel your registration and hand in the vehicle's number plates, at a service centre.

There's a cancellation fee, but you're able to apply for a refund of any unused portion of the motor vehicle tax.

What you need

  • the vehicle's registration certificate (if available)
  • the vehicle's number plates (or a Police Event Number if the plates have been lost, stolen or destroyed)
  • your proof of identity
  • your payment
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Number Plates and/or Cancellation of Registration'
    • 'Request for refund of NSW registration' (if applicable) 
    • 'Application for Transfer/Refund of NSW Registrations for Motor Dealers' (motor dealers only).
  • if the vehicle was written-off or stolen, a document from the Police or insurance company with the date of the incident
  • access to a printer.

How to cancel

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Ensure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre, lodge your application, and return the vehicle's number plates.

If you don't live in NSW, you can cancel your registration from interstate by post.

More information

  • If you want to keep the plates after you cancel your vehicle's registration, you'll need to put them in reserve at a service centre. Additional fees may apply.
  • If your vehicle is registered in joint names, you only need the signature of the primary operator.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 28 November 2023

Rate the information on the page