If you've changed your name, you'll need to visit a Service NSW Centre within 14 days to record your new name on your licence, vehicle and vessel details.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • your original change of name document, for example one of the following:
    • marriage certificate
    • change of name certificate
    • birth certificate showing your name at birth and your new name
    • divorce document showing the name you're changing back to
  • your licence card and registration papers (if applicable)
  • the PDF form – 'Replacement Application' if you need a replacement product such as a driver licence card, or
  • the PDF form – 'Change of Records' if you do not need a replacement product.

Note: Original paper documents that have been laminated are not accepted as proof of identity.

How to change

  1. Gather all your required documents.
  2. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

You'll need to update your name everywhere else, including with:

  • federal government agencies (Services Australia, Electoral Commission)
  • state government agencies (NSW Land Registry, NSW Pet Registry, NSW Rental Bond Board)
  • municipal government bodies (local council, local public library)
  • businesses (insurance and utility providers, banks and more).
Last updated: 28 November 2023