If you're a pensioner, you may be eligible for concessions on your vehicle registration in NSW.

Eligible pensioners do not pay:

  • registration fees
  • motor vehicle tax
  • conditional registration fees
  • transfer fee and stamp duty (Department of Veterans' Affairs eligible pensioners only)

The registration concession is for one vehicle per person. If the vehicle is registered in joint names the concession applies only if both of you are eligible.

To find out more, visit Transport for NSW.


You're eligible if you're a NSW resident with a:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card marked with either 'War Widow', 'War Widower Pension', 'Totally and Permanently Incapacitated' (TPI) or 'Disability Pension' (EDA)
  • statement from the DVA stating that you:
    • receive Disability Compensation Payment of 70% or higher
    • receive an Intermediate or Extreme Disablement Adjustment pension
    • have been assessed under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004, at 50 or more impairment points.

How to get a concession

Your eligibility is automatically checked and concessions applied when you register or transfer a vehicle. For example. if you're a pensioner and receive free vehicle registration, you may be eligible for automatic rego renewal.  

If your eligibility cannot be confirmed, you'll receive a letter asking you to attend a Service NSW Centre or call 13 22 13.

If you are not eligible, you'll receive a renewal notice with details.

Last updated: 13 February 2024