NSW government primary schools educate children from kindergarten to year 6, and the school year begins late-January/early-February.

You can enrol your child in kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn 5 on or before 31 July that year. They must be enrolled by their sixth birthday.

Public schools are free to attend for Australian citizens and permanent residents.


  • Australian citizens and permanent residents
  • holders of a temporary visa or visitor visa to Australia 
    Note: you'll need to meet the enrolment requirements of the temporary residents program to apply.

What you need

You'll need the child's:

  • proof of residential address such as a council rates notice, electricity bill
  • family law or court orders (if applicable)
  • passport or travel documents (if applicable)
  • current visa and previous visas (if applicable)
  • disability or other support needs, including any learning and support plans (if applicable).

For children who've never enrolled in a NSW public school, you'll also need their:

How to enrol

  1. Check eligibility requirements.
  2. Find your nearest local government public school
  3. Contact the school for a discussion and/or an appointment.
  4. Complete the Application to enrol in a NSW Government school – PDF and bring it with you to the appointment or, if you’ve already had a discussion, to the school office to process the application.

More information

  • Commemorative birth certificates are not acceptable.
  • You can enrol a child without an immunisation history statement, but they may be instructed by Public Health officials to stay at home during an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.
  • The enrolment application form must be completed in English. Translations of the form are available to help you, if required.
Last updated: 11 January 2024

Rate the information on the page