A preschool provides educational programs for children the year before they start kindergarten. The NSW government currently runs preschool classes in 100 government schools, predominantly catering for children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The school year begins late-January/early-February. You can enrol your child at the beginning of the school year if they turn 4 on, or before, 31 July of that year.
Attendance patterns are determined according to the needs of the local community.
What you'll need
You'll need the child's:
- birth certificate or identity documents
- parent/carer’s details
- residency status or visa number (if applicable)
- passport, travel documents or current visa (if applicable)
- proof of residential address such as an electricity bill
- Medicare number
- low income health card (if applicable)
- medical details and health conditions
- doctor's details
- emergency contact details
- family law or court orders (if applicable)
- disability or other support needs, including any learning and support plans (if applicable).
- Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) immunisation history statement.
How to enrol
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Find your nearest local government preschool.
- Contact the school to make an appointment to discuss potential enrolment.
- Complete the Application to enrol in a NSW Government preschool – PDF and take the form and your supporting documents to the appointment.
- Australian citizens and permanent residents
- holders of a permanent or temporary visa
- priority is given to low income families, refugees, children with disabilities, and children of Aboriginal descent.
Things to keep in mind...
- The enrolment application form must be completed in English. Translations of the form are available to help you, if required.
- Fees for preschool classes vary across the government schools and are set according to the Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA) value of the school.
- Applications for the next school year are taken from Term 2 onwards of the current school year.