If you need to file documents or forms for a civil case in the NSW Local, District or Supreme Court, you may be eligible to do so via the NSW Online Registry.

You can also file documents in person or by post.


To file forms online, in person, or by post, you must:

  • be a party involved in a case or their authorised representative. This includes:
    • an individual who is representing themselves
    • the authorised officer of an organisation, or their delegate
    • a barrister or solicitor, or their delegate.

What you need

To file court documents online, you'll need:

  • an account with the NSW Online Registry
  • your search terms (such as the party's surname or company name, case number, jurisdiction).
  • your payment.

If you're creating a NSW Online Registry account, you’ll also need your:

  • name
  • email address
  • user type (such as solicitor, self-represented individual or business owner)
  • date of birth
  • residential address
  • 2 to 4 proof of identity documents (such as driver licence, passport, Medicare card, birth certificate)
  • practising certificate number (if applicable).

If you're unable to apply online, you:

  • may need to book an appointment with the court's Duty Registrar (if you're filing in person)
  • will need to ensure you have the correct postal address for the relevant court (if you're filing by post)
  • can call the Courts Service Centre on 1300 679 272 for guidance.

How to file

  1. Select the ‘File online’ button.
  2. Select 'Register' for an account, or 'Login'.
  3. Follow the prompts to start a new case, search for your case, or add a case to your case list.
  4. Select the ‘File form’ tab.
  5. Select the appropriate form.
  6. Follow the prompts to:
    • complete the form online, or 
    • upload a signed version of the form in PDF format (if applicable).

If you're unable to file online:

  1. Visit Available forms or Uniform Civil Procedure Rules (UCPR) – Civil Forms to find the forms you need.
  2. Print off and complete the court forms you need to file.
  3. Get the postal or physical address of the relevant Court, or book an appointment to file in person (if applicable), by:

    More information

    • It’s a good idea to get legal help before you start or defend a case in Court. You may be eligible for free or low-cost legal advice. Find out more by visiting:
    • Some court forms need to be signed and witnessed before being filed.
      • If your form needs to be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace (JP), you can visit Find a Justice of the Peace for help.
      • If you are filing your form in person, there may also be a JP on duty at the Court. Call the Courts Service Centre on 1300 679 272 for help.
    • Depending on the type of form you are filing, you might be asked to provide supporting documents.
      • All documents filed online should be in PDF format, with a maximum file size of 5MB.
      • If you would like to apply for a filing fee waiver or postponement, please visit Fee waivers on the NSW Online Registry website.
      Last updated: 15 November 2023