The No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) offers people on low incomes, safe and affordable access to credit.
The scheme provides up to $2,000 for essential goods and services including:
- household items such as:
- furniture and whitegoods (stoves, fridges, washing machines)
- educational necessities such as computers and textbooks
- some medical and dental services
- car repairs
- other items on request.
The loans are interest free, there are no fees, and repayments are arranged over 12 to 18 months.
To be eligible for NILS you need to:
- have a health care card/pension card or earn less than $57,000 a year (after tax) for singles OR $75,000 a year for couples or people with dependents.
- have lived in your current premises for more than 3 months
- show that you're able to repay the loan in the allotted time period.
Note: NILS cannot be used for cash, rent arrears, holidays, bills or debt consolidation.
The loan funds are paid to the store or service provider.