The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) helps eligible newcomers to Australia to learn or improve their English.
The program is free, and you study:
• English speaking
• writing skills.
You also learn about Australian society, culture, customs, and working within Australia.
Day or evening classes are available at TAFE NSW campuses on weekdays and Saturdays.
TAFE also offers some online classes, and you can study by distance learning or with a volunteer tutor.
- migrants and humanitarian entrants holding a permanent visa or an eligible temporary visa
- Australian citizens who previously held a permanent visa.
Note: If you came to Australia after 1 October 2020, you must register within 6 months of your visa start date or arrival date in Australia.
What you need
- your visa
- your passport.
How to get started
- Select the 'Get started' button.
- Find your nearest TAFE.
- Call AMEP on 1800 114 707 to check your eligibility.
- Make an appointment for an interview so your English level can be assessed, and a suitable learning plan arranged for you.
- TAFE NSW can arrange a study program to fit around your work schedule.
- Free childcare is available during classes for children younger than school age.
- You can access unlimited hours of English classes until you reach vocational English.
- You can apply to study even if you have studied with AMEP before and have been in Australia for many years.
- The AMEP is funded by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.