Text size


The Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA) provides assistance to eligible NSW families whose children have to board away from home to access secondary education.

Eligibility relates to:

  • family income
  • distance from a secondary school (public or preferred religion).

Other circumstances taken into consideration include:

  • medical conditions
  • impassable roads
  • inability to provide adequate supervision outside school hours
  • a change of residence when the student is in Year 12.

You can apply for a LAFHA by downloading Living Away from Home Allowance Information and Application Form – PDF.

To find out more about the range of allowances and scholarships available for geographically isolated students, visit Rural and Distance Education.

Last updated: 30 June 2022
You'll be taken to another website.