Text size


If you're involved in a tenancy dispute as a tenant, landlord or property manager, and you've been unable to resolve the issue privately, you can lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading, and they'll act as an informal negotiator. There's no fee for this service. 

NSW Fair Trading assists with minor tenancy disputes.

Public or social housing matters, or disputes of a more serious nature are dealt with through the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).


Tenants, landlords or property managers who've been unable to reach agreement over a tenancy dispute.

What you need

  • your name and contact details 
  • name and contact details of the tenant, landlord or property manager you're complaining about
  • details of the property involved
  • details of the dispute and your attempt to resolve the issue 
  • copies of any relevant documents such as condition reports, bank statements, photos
  • access to a printer and/or scanner (if applicable).

How to lodge

  1. Gather the required documentation.
  2. Select the 'Lodge online' button.
  3. Open the 'Renting' drop-down.
  4. Select 'Go to tenancy complaint form'.
  5. Agree to the declaration.
  6. Complete the online form.

If you don't wish to lodge online you can:

  1. Download and complete the Property Complaint Form – PDF.
  2. Gather your supporting documentation.
  3. Lodge your complaint by mail or email, to the details on the form.

More information

  • After receiving your complaint, NSW Fair Trading will attempt to finalise the matter within 30 days.
  • If there is no resolution from the NSW Fair Trading intervention, they'll advise you of the outcome and recommend you lodge a claim with NCAT.
Last updated: 15 December 2022
You'll be taken to another website.