If your car or other property has been damaged due to the condition of a NSW public road, you may be eligible to claim the repair costs. If you'd like to make a claim, you can do this via post, fax or email.

What you'll need

  • the PDF form – 'Public Liability Claim Form'
  • your personal details
  • map/diagram of incident location
  • photographs of the incident location
  • a photocopy of the driver licence of the person driving the vehicle at the time
  • the details of the vehicle that was damaged
  • photographs of the damage to the vehicle and/or other property
  • copies of:
    • 2 quotes to repair the damage to the vehicle and/or property, or
    • tax invoices for the costs incurred to repair the damage.

How to claim

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete and sign the form.
  3. Attach all supporting evidence, and submit your completed application to the details on the form.

Things to keep in mind...

  • Once you've submitted your application you'll receive a letter from Roads and Maritime Services confirming receipt of your documents and requesting further information if required.
  • Roads and Maritime will then investigate your claim. This may take 6 weeks or longer, depending on the complexities of the claim.
  • The claim may be referred to other parties. If this occurs, you'll be notified in writing and provided contact details.
  • Once the investigation is complete, Roads and Maritime will notify you of their decision, in writing.
  • If you want to dispute the decision, you can request a re-investigation by providing a written response outlining your reasons.
  • If your claim is accepted, you'll need to sign a Deed of Release (in the presence of a witness) and return the signed document to Roads and Maritime.
  • Payment will only be made once the signed Deed of Release is returned.
  • Payment will only be made to the owner of the damaged property.
You'll be taken to another website.