If you're a tenant, you have the option to lodge your bond directly with NSW Fair Trading through the Rental Bonds Online (RBO) service. Your landlord or agent is required by law to offer you the RBO service before accepting your bond.

To use the RBO service, the landlord or agent must first send you an email inviting you to open your own RBO account. Once you've set up your account, you can pay your bond using a credit card or BPAY. 

If you prefer, you can pay your bond directly to your landlord or agent – it's your choice. They'll then lodge your bond on your behalf with NSW Fair Trading. They must provide you with a receipt, or record the payment details on the tenancy agreement.

Last updated: 6 November 2019