All residential building work over $5,000 requires a written contract.
- trade work
- maintenance and repair work
- minor additions and renovations
- alterations and improvements.
- new homes
- major alterations and additions
- swimming pool installations.
If you want to use your own contract or one purchased from an industry association, you can, as long as:
- you understand each clause
- the contract contains all the required items
- the contract contains the checklist for owners entering building contracts (if applicable)
- you include a copy of the Consumer Building Guide – PDF.
If the work is over $250,000, a work health and safety management plan must be prepared by a principal contractor, before work begins.