COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


All residential building work over $5,000 requires a written contract. 

If the work is between $5,000 and $20,000, you'll need a 'small jobs' contract, which is suitable for:
  • trade work
  • maintenance and repair work
  • minor additions and renovations
  • alterations and improvements.
If the work is over $20,000, you'll need a more extensive home building contract, which would cover:
  • new homes
  • major alterations and additions
  • swimming pool installations.
Templates of the small jobs contract and home building contract are available on the NSW Fair Trading website.

If you want to use your own contract or one purchased from an industry association, you can, as long as:

If the work is over $250,000, a work health and safety management plan must be prepared by a principal contractor, before work begins.

You'll be taken to another website.