Text size


Before you can register a modified or non-standard vehicle, it must be inspected to make sure it doesn't pose a safety risk on the road, and that it complies with legal standards. 

If you've made significant modifications to your vehicle, or you have a non-standard or personally imported vehicle, you'll need to have it assessed by a licensed certifier under the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS).

Once the vehicle has been passed as compliant and safe, you'll be issued with a VSCCS Compliance Certificate, which you'll need to provide when applying for NSW registration, or renewing an existing registration.

Prior to making any modifications, download Vehicle standards information: Light vehicle modification – PDF for more information, and talk with a licensed certifier so you’re aware of the requirements for certification. For example, you might have to take photos of the modification work, or bring the vehicle in for inspection at various stages during the modification process.

Non-standard vehicles include:

Last updated: 29 June 2022
You'll be taken to another website.