If you're considering buying a used car there are 2 types of vehicle checks you can make online – a free registration check and a vehicle history check.
The free registration check includes whether the NSW registration is suspended or cancelled, and the vehicle's registration expiry date.
For a fee, the vehicle history report includes:
- if and why the vehicle was written-off anywhere in Australia from 2004
- if the vehicle, its number plates or engine are stolen
- the number of registered operators in NSW
- the vehicle's past use, for example, as a taxi/hire car
- if the vehicle has single/joint registered operators
- the vehicle's first registration date in NSW.