If you're considering buying a used car there are 2 types of vehicle checks you can make online – a free registration check and a vehicle history check.
The free registration check includes whether the NSW registration is suspended or cancelled, and the vehicle's registration expiry date.
For a fee, the vehicle history report includes:
- if and why the vehicle was written-off anywhere in Australia from 2004
- if the vehicle, its number plates or engine are stolen
- the number of registered operators in NSW
- the vehicle's past use, for example, as a taxi/hire car
- if the vehicle has single/joint registered operators
- the vehicle's first registration date in NSW.
- A registration check can only be run on vehicles previously or currently registered in NSW.
- A vehicle history report is not available for conditionally registered vehicles.
What you need
- the vehicle's NSW registration plate number
- a valid credit card.
How to order
- Select the 'Order online' button.
- Enter the NSW plate number.
- Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the 'Next' button.
- Check your details and submit.
- Enter your payment details.
- Once your payment has been processed, download or email your report and transaction receipt.
- The vehicle history report is not usable in court or certified for any legal evidence.
- If you need information for legal proceedings you can request a certified copy from Transport for NSW Certificates Unit, Locked Bag 14, Grafton NSW 2460.
- The free registration check includes:
- the registration expiry date
- whether the registration is suspended or cancelled
- any registration restrictions
- any registration concessions (additional charges may apply upon transfer to a new owner)
- the Compulsory Third Party insurer and policy expiry date.
- The vehicle VIN will not be provided in this report.