You can apply for assistance to help you set up and maintain a tenancy in the private rental market through Housing Pathways.
While many options are available, each option has different eligibility requirements. Generally, with a few exceptions, you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and a resident of NSW.
Rent Choice is a private rental subsidy that helps you pay the rent for up to 3 years. Financial assistance may be available if:
- you've had a major financial setback like illness, or you've lost your job
- you're escaping domestic and family violence
- you're a war veteran, or
- you're a young person aged 16 – 24 who is homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- Rentstart Bond Loan is an interest-free loan that covers part or all of the rental bond for eligible clients moving into a private rental.
- Advance Rent is for clients moving into private rental accommodation where no bond is required. It is for Rentstart Bond Loan recipients only, and covers key money, a security deposit or rent in advance.
- Tenancy Assistance provides up to 4 weeks rent to cover unpaid rent and/or unpaid water charges. It may only be offered once in a 12-month period.
- Tenancy Guarantee offers an incentive to landlords and agents to rent to people who are having difficulties getting into the private rental market. Up to $1500 is made available to cover unpaid rent and/or property damage over and above the rental bond.
- Private Rental Brokerage service provides one-to-one help for eligible clients with complex needs, to assist them in finding and keeping a private rental.
To apply for housing assistance you can:
- fill out an application form online
- call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If you'd like to discuss more housing assistance options, visit your local housing office.