An Australian Business Number (ABN) is a unique 11-digit identifier that makes it easier for businesses and all levels of government to interact.
You can run a business without an ABN, but you must have an ABN to:
- operate in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) system, including claiming GST credits or fuel tax credits
- avoid having amounts withheld from payments to you – your business clients must withhold 49% of any payments they make to you if you don't give them an ABN
- help other businesses to confirm your business details for ordering and invoicing
- get an AUSkey to transact online with government agencies, and
- be able to register a website that ends with ‘.au’ for your business.
You can apply online for an ABN.Apply online