Please note: to register a private or public company that's unlimited (where the liability of shareholders is unlimited) you need to apply by using a company registration form.
A company is a type of business structure. When you set up a company, you create a legal entity that's separate from you.
At the Australian Government Business Registration Service website you can register the following types of companies using an online form:
- proprietary limited companies (also known as private companies) – the most common company structure used by small businesses
- public companies limited by shares or guarantee
- public companies with no liability
- special purpose companies – not for profit, home unit/body corporate or superannuation trustee.
The online form will also:
- tell you what information you need to complete your registration
- allow you to save your progress and come back later
- give you other helpful information related to companies
- let you make other business registrations you may need.
Last updated: 6 November 2019