GST is a tax of 10% on most goods and services sold in Australia.
You must register for GST if you:
- run a business or enterprise that has a GST turnover (gross income minus GST) that exceeds the GST threshold of $75,000
- expect your new business to reach the GST threshold in the first year of operation
- have a non-profit organisation with a GST turnover of $150,000 per year or more
- are a taxi, limousine or ride-sourcing driver (regardless of turnover)
- want to claim fuel tax credits for your business.
You can register for GST online using the Australian Government's Online services for business.
What you need
- an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- the myGovID app on a smart device. Your myGovID must be linked to your ABN through the Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM).
How to register
- Select 'Register online'.
- Log in using MyGovID.
- Use the 'Profile' menu to change tax registration.
If you're unable to register online, you can register:
- by phone on 13 28 66
- through your registered tax agent or BAS agent
- by completing the Add a new business account (NAT 2954) form. You can order a form using the Australian Tax Office's online publication ordering service.