The rules regarding tree removal differ from council to council, but Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) and Local Environment Plans (LEPs) guide many of the decisions made.

You must obtain approval from your local council prior to removing any tree(s) from your property. Failing to do so can incur substantial fines.

If you live close to bushland or in an area that is prone to bushfires, check the 10/50 vegetation clearing entitlement area

If your property is located in a designated area, the 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme allows you to clear certain vegetation near your home without having to get approval from the local council or land services office.

Note: If you have a NSW Planning Portal account you may be able to apply for a Private Tree Permit via the Portal. Check if your council receives Planning Portal applications, as not all do.

Last updated: 15 November 2023