COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


The NSW Food Authority works with local councils to ensure that food sold in NSW is labelled correctly and complies with the safety standards of the respective business sector.
Businesses that must comply with these standards include:

  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • takeaway shops
  • caterers
  • bakeries.

Local councils take complaints about retail businesses (except butchers) and food poisoning in one household.

If you have a complaint that relates to a butcher, possible food poisoning affecting more than one household, or other issues relating to food safety and labelling, you can report it online to the NSW Food Authority.


Complaints relating to:

  • butchers
  • possible food poisoning in more than one household
  • non retail businesses such as:
    • wholesalers
    • manufacturers
    • importers
    • online.
  • other issues relating to food safety and labelling.

You can remain anonymous, but providing your name and contact details can assist the Authority if they want to investigate the matter further.

What you need

  • up to 20 minutes to complete the form (you can't save it and finish it later)
  • a description of the problem
  • the name and full street address of the business (if applicable)
  • the internet address (if the food safety or labelling problem is viewable on the site)
  • the product name and size
  • the date on the package (if applicable).

If you suspect food poisoning:

  • a description of the food that was eaten, and the time and date it was consumed
  • the time and date illness began
  • the symptoms and their severity
  • keep any leftover food, packaging and receipts (if practicable).

How to report

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Report online' button.
  3. Read the information on the introductory page.
  4. Select 'Start'.
  5. Answer the initial questions to confirm your issue is best reported to the Authority.
  6. Select 'Next.
  7. Enter the required information and submit your complaint.

If you include your email address you can choose to have a copy of the completed form emailed to you.

    More information

    The NSW Food Authority is unable to:

    • provide details of the progress and outcome of an investigation
    • act on behalf of complainants for reimbursement of the cost of the food, compensation or damages
    • provide legal advice.
    You'll be taken to another website.