Text size


The NSW Food Authority works with local councils to ensure that food sold in NSW is labelled correctly and complies with the safety standards of the respective business sector.
Businesses that must comply with these standards include:

  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • takeaway shops
  • caterers
  • bakeries.


The Food Authority accepts complaints relating to:

  • butchers
  • possible food poisoning in more than one household
  • non-retail businesses such as:
    • wholesalers
    • manufacturers
    • importers
    • online
  • other issues relating to food safety and labelling.

Note: If you want to make a complaint about a retail business (other than a butchery) or a food poisoning episode in only one household, contact your local council instead.

What you need

  • up to 20 minutes to complete the form 
  • a description of the problem
  • the name and full street address of the business (if applicable)
  • the internet address (if the food safety or labelling problem is viewable on the site)
  • the product name and size
  • the date on the package (if applicable).

If you suspect food poisoning:

  •  a description of the food that was eaten, and the time and date it was consumed
  • the time and date illness began
  • the symptoms and their severity
  • keep any leftover food, packaging and receipts (if practicable).

How to report

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Report online' button.
  3. Read the information on the introductory page.
  4. Follow the prompts to submit your complaint.

If you include your email address, you can choose to have a copy of the completed form emailed to you.

More information

  • You can remain anonymous when making a complaint, but providing your name and contact details can assist the Authority if they want to investigate the matter further.
  • The NSW Food Authority is unable to:
    • provide details of the progress and outcome of an investigation
    • act on behalf of complainants for reimbursement of the cost of the food, compensation or damages
    • provide legal advice.
Last updated: 27 October 2022
You'll be taken to another website.