COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


If your birth or marriage certificate is lost or stolen, you need to report it immediately.

With identity fraud on the increase, all personal documents are valuable, and a birth certificate is of particular importance. It’s required to establish your identity in many life events such as applying for a bank account, passport, social security, pension benefit, and Tax File Number.

The Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages has information on how to safeguard these documents to prevent identity theft. 

You may be able to report a lost or stolen certificate online through the NSW Police Force Community Portal Alternatively, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or attend your local police station. 

If you suspect that someone has been misusing your birth or marriage certificate, you can also report this via email to the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. 

You'll be taken to another website.