The Start Strong program provides funding for approved preschools and long day care (LDC) services across NSW.
The purpose of the program is to ensure all children can have access to 600 hours of quality preschool education in the year before entering school.
Children need to be:
- at least 3 years old on or before 31 July in that preschool year
- attending an early childhood education program
- not enrolled or registered at a school.
Note: LDC services must be listed on the Australian Government's Child Care Management System (CCMS) to be eligible to receive the Start Strong LDC funding.
Things to keep in mind...
- Services are required to pass on a percentage of their funding to families, by lowering their daily fees. Check with your preschool provider regarding their fees as each preschool sets its own fee levels.
- Preschools aren't required to reduce fees if they don't receive funding under Start Strong.
For enrolments of less than 600 hours, refer to the Start Strong guidelines as fee reductions could still apply.