Text size


A private mooring licence is an annual licence that allows you to moor your vessel on navigable waters. If you've bought a vessel that has this licence and you want to transfer ownership of the licence to you, you'll need to lodge an application.

Transfer of a private mooring licence is subject to conditions and approval by Transport for NSW.


You must have bought the vessel and its associated mooring apparatus, and be the registered owner of the vessel.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Application for Transfer of a Private Mooring Licence'
  • the mooring site number
  • your personal and contact details
  • your concession details (if applicable)
  • the Relinquishment of Mooring section of the form completed by the previous licence holder
  • your full proof of identity documents, if mailing your application
  • your representative's details and proof of identity (if applicable)
  • an authorised signatory as specified on the form (if applicable)
  • your payment.

How to transfer

  1. Download, complete, print and sign the Application for Transfer of a Private Mooring Licence – PDF.
  2. Gather any additional documentation required.
  3. Visit a service centre to lodge your application in person, or post it to:

    Maritime Product Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450

More information

  • Concessions (if applicable) are only available for vessels used solely for recreational purposes.
  • The licence can be transferred if the vessel is moored in a non priority waiting list area.
  • If the vessel is moored in a priority waiting list area, only the legal or de facto spouse named as the beneficiary in the will of the deceased licence holder can transfer the licence, and they must be at least the equal majority shareholder of the vessel. If the vessel is retained by a beneficiary other than the legal or de facto spouse, a maximum of 12 months applies.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 4 November 2020