If you sell or give away your registered dog or cat, you must transfer it to its new owner. 

You can transfer ownership:

  • online through the NSW Pet Registry, or
  • in person at your local council.

As the ‘old’ owner, it is your responsibility to update the animal's ownership details.

There is no fee to transfer ownership, but you may be fined if you do not do this.


To transfer ownership of your pet online:

  • it must be registered with the NSW Pet Registry
  • the new owner must be:
    • aged 18 years or over
    • not disqualified from owning a dog (if you’re transferring a dog).

What you need

  • a NSW Pet Registry account/owner profile
  • your dog or cat’s microchip number
  • the new owner’s name and contact number.

How to transfer

  1. Select the ‘Transfer online’ button.
  2. Log in to your NSW Pet Registry account.
  3. Select ‘My Pets’ to see a list of the pets you own, then select the ‘Transfer’ text for the relevant pet.
  4. Enter the details of the new owner, then select ‘Transfer’ again.
  5. When the confirmation message appears, select ‘My Pets’ in the main menu at the top left-hand side of the screen.
  6. The ‘Transfer’ field in your pet’s profile will have changed to ‘Restricted’. This means you will no longer be able to make any changes to the pet’s information.
  7. To complete the transfer, the new owner will need to create a user profile (if they don’t already have one) and link the pet’s record to their profile. When they’ve done this, the pet will disappear from your ‘My Pets’ page.

Note: If you’re unable to transfer ownership online, you'll need to complete a paper form at your local council within 14 days of selling or giving away your pet.

More information

  • Your local vet can provide the cat or dog’s microchip number.
  • If your pet has been transferred in error, contact your local council to check if they can update the ownership status of the animal.
  • Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, you cannot advertise for sale, sell or give your dog away if it is a restricted dog or a declared dangerous dog.
  • You can register your dog or cat, update your contact details and report your pet missing through the NSW Pet Registry.
Last updated: 15 November 2023