If you're building or renovating a home and the work is valued at $20,000 or more (including GST), your builder or tradesperson must have home building compensation (HBC) cover.

HBC cover protects you as a last resort if your builder dies, disappears, becomes insolvent or has their licence suspended for failing to compensate a home owner.

With the HBC Check online register you can check:

  • whether the work done at a particular address is covered under the HBC scheme by entering the address of the property
  • the validity of the cover by entering the HBC certificate number.

You can learn more about the online register by visiting the State Insurance Regulatory Authority.

You'll be taken to another website.