Use of 'My Licences and Credentials'
The ‘My Licences and Credentials’ is a function on the Service NSW app that allows you to use and present a digital version of certain NSW Government licences and credentials (in NSW only).
Use of this function is optional, meaning that you can continue to use your physical licence or credential (where available) in place of the digital version.
Current licences and credentials available digitally include:
- NSW General Construction Induction Card (White Card), issued by SafeWork NSW under clause 319 of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017
- Contractor Licence, granted by the Commissioner for Fair Trading under s 19 of the Home Building Act 1989 (only for individuals at present)
- Qualified Supervisor Certificate and Tradesperson Certificate, granted by the Commissioner for Fair Trading under s 24 of the Home Building Act 1989
- High Risk Work Licence, issued by SafeWork NSW under clause 81 of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017.
Note: If you hold a digital licence or credential, you must still carry your physical card.
Purpose of collection
You can choose which licences or credentials you wish to have as a digital version on an agency-by-agency basis, dependent upon which agencies your MyServiceNSW account is linked to. For more information, read the MyServiceNSW Account privacy collection notice.
You are supplying your personal information voluntarily. The consequences of not supplying your personal information are that we may not be able to:
- process your application for a digital licence or credential, or
- support your use of it.
Service NSW collects the personal information that you provide in your application for a digital licence or credential. Your personal information is being collected so it can be shared with staff of the Department of Customer Service who exercise functions on behalf of the relevant licensing authority – SafeWork NSW or the Commissioner for Fair Trading (NSW Fair Trading) – for the purpose of verifying your identity.
When we may contact you
Consistent with the terms of your MyServiceNSW Account, Service NSW may contact you to:
- assist with administering your MyServiceNSW Account and support the access and/or display of digital licence and credential information in the Service NSW app
- provide you with information relevant to the licences and credentials that you have agreed to link to.
What information we collect
Service NSW also collects your personal information from the relevant licensing authority before generating your digital card and each time the Service NSW app is used.
The information collected will include your:
- full name
- date of birth
- residential address
- licence or credential number.
This information is collected for the purpose of:
- verifying your identity
- generating a digital licence
- verifying your digital licence
- recording an activity log of the use of this app.
Your personal information will:
- continue to be held by the relevant licensing authority
- be encrypted and held on your mobile phone or other electronic device to facilitate the display of the licence or credential when required.
Transmission of personal information in this process will be encrypted.
When a person scans the QR code (generated by the Service NSW app) on your phone, they will be provided with the personal information contained on your digital licence or credential, including your full name.
Service NSW will keep a de-identified activity log for technical troubleshooting and program evaluation. A record will be made on the log each time you access your digital credential, including when you present or use it.
Other than sharing your personal information with the relevant licensing authority, or displaying it on the Service NSW app, Service NSW will not release your personal information unless authorised by law.
Access to information
The information displayed on your digital licence is held by the relevant licensing authority, whether SafeWork NSW and/or NSW Fair Trading.
You are entitled to access and correct the personal information we hold about you, including in our activity logs.
The names and addresses of the agencies that are collecting and holding your information for the purpose of processing your application and issuing your digital licence or credential on behalf of the relevant licensing authority can be found below.
McKell Building, 2-24 Rawson Place
Sydney NSW 2000
NSW Fair Trading
PO Box 972
Parramatta NSW 2124
Locked Bag 2906
Lisarow NSW 2252
Any personal information provided to you by the relevant licensing authority in relation to your licence or credential still applies in respect of the digital version of the licence or credential that you are creating on the Service NSW app, including the relevant privacy statements: NSW Fair Trading Privacy Statement and SafeWork NSW Privacy Statement. There are also Terms and Conditions for each digital licence or credential. These documents can be found in the ‘Related links’ section below.