Text size

You can apply for assistance to help you set up and maintain a tenancy in the private rental market through Housing Pathways.

While many options are available, each option has different eligibility requirements. Generally, with a few exceptions, you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and a resident of NSW.

  • Rent Choice is a private rental subsidy that helps you pay the rent for up to 3 years. Financial assistance may be available if:
    • you've had a major financial setback like illness, or you've lost your job
    • you're escaping domestic and family violence
    • you're a war veteran, or
    • you're a young person aged 16 – 24 who is homeless or at risk of homelessness.
  • Rentstart Bond Loan is an interest-free loan that covers part or all of the rental bond for eligible clients moving into a private rental.
  • Advance Rent is for clients moving into private rental accommodation where no bond is required. It is for Rentstart Bond Loan recipients only, and covers key money, a security deposit or rent in advance.
  • Tenancy Assistance provides up to 4 weeks rent to cover unpaid rent and/or unpaid water charges. It may only be offered once in a 12-month period.
  • Tenancy Guarantee offers an incentive to landlords and agents to rent to people who are having difficulties getting into the private rental market. Up to $1500 is made available to cover unpaid rent and/or property damage over and above the rental bond.
  • Private Rental Brokerage service provides one-to-one help for eligible clients with complex needs, to assist them in finding and keeping a private rental.

To apply for housing assistance you can:

  • fill out an application form online
  • call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

If you'd like to discuss more housing assistance options, visit your local housing office.

Last updated: 9 July 2019
You'll be taken to another website.