If you wish to change the approved class of a private health facility licence, and/or the number of patients accommodated, you'll need to apply and get approval from the Secretary of NSW Health. If you're also applying to get approval for alterations or extensions to the facility, then you can submit these applications at the same time and only pay one application fee.
What you need
- an Application for Amendment of a Licence for a Private Health Facility – PDF form
- an Application for Alterations or Extensions to a Licensed Private Health Facility – PDF form (if applicable)
- details of the applicant and contact person
- facility's name and address
- details of the proposed amendment/s
- details of the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) item numbers and description for each proposed new class of licence sought
- details of the proposed rehabilitation and mental health programs (if applicable)
- business case detailing why there is a need for the proposed amendments, including:
- details of the clinical specialities, type and level of service to be provided
- current availability of these services in the public and private sector within the estimated catchment area
- the likely demand for the proposed services in the catchment area or target population
- projected demographic and other factors that may affect demand for the proposed services.
How to apply
- Complete and sign the Application for Amendment of a Licence for a Private Health Facility – PDF.
- Gather all the required documentation, including the completed Application for Alterations or Extensions to a Licensed Private Health Facility – PDF (if applicable).
- Make your payment online at the NSW Ministry of Health payment portal.
- Email email@example.com with the completed application form, the required documents and a copy of the payment receipt.
- Submissions will be assessed against the Australasian Health Facility Guidelines (HFG)
- The approval process will take about 4 months from the date the NSW Ministry of Health receives the completed application. This doesn't include the time taken to build any extensions.
- Time frames – PDF
- Circumstances that 'stop the clock' – PDF
Last updated: 6 November 2019