If you're wanting to drive public passenger buses or coaches that seat 13 or more people, you need to be authorised under the Passenger Transport Act 1990 or 2014. You can download the application form, and lodge it with your supporting documents, to the mailing address on the form.
You need to:
- be at least 20 years old
- hold an unrestricted driver licence
- have held your unrestricted driver licence issued in any Australian state or territory, for a total of at least 12 months in the previous 2 years
- have successfully completed Bus Driver Authority training
- be medically fit to drive a public passenger vehicle.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'Application for an Authority to Drive a Bus'
- your proof of identity
- a National Police Certificate issued no more than 3 months prior to this application
- Note: If you'd like Roads and Maritime to apply for the police check on your behalf, you'll need additional proof of identity documentation
- Medical Assessment Form Public Passenger Vehicle Driver – PDF completed by a medical practitioner and dated no more than 6 months prior to this application
- Medical Specialist Assessment Form – PDF (if applicable)
- a certified copy of your NSW driver licence
- 2 recent, identical, clear colour photos 65mm x 65mm, of your head and neck on a pale background without hat or sunglasses
- your Evidence of Training Certificate to show you've successfully completed your Bus Driver Authority training
- your payment, as indicated on the form.
How to apply
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete and print the form.
- Sign the declaration.
- Attach all supporting and identity documents.
- Mail your application to the address on the form.
Identification documents not in English must be officially translated.