COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size

Before you start any building or construction work, you’ll need to apply for a construction certificate.

Your local council or an accredited certifier working in the private sector can issue a construction certificate. You can find a certifier online

This certificate confirms that the construction plans and development specifications are consistent with the development consent, and comply with the Building Code of Australia and any other council requirements.

To apply, you will need to: 

  • hold an approved development consent issued by your local council 
  • have met all the requirements local council placed upon your development consent
  • provide details of the work, such as construction plans and specifications for the development. 

Contact your local council to complete your application. 

You'll be taken to another website.