If you need to downgrade your licence, you can do so at a service centre. For example you may hold a licence above class C, but not passed the driving test for that class; or perhaps you've been instructed to downgrade due to age or a medical condition; or you simply might no longer need the higher class of licence.

What you need

  • your current licence, or if this is not available, your proof of identity
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • evidence of why you need to downgrade (if involuntary) – for example, a driving test score sheet
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • your medical report (if applicable)
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.