If you need to downgrade your licence, you can do so at a service centre. For example you may hold a licence above class C, but not passed the driving test for that class; or perhaps you've been instructed to downgrade due to age or a medical condition; or you simply might no longer need the higher class of licence.
What you need
- your current licence, or if this is not available, your proof of identity
- your concession card details (if applicable)
- evidence of why you need to downgrade (if involuntary) – for example, a driving test score sheet
- your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
- your medical report (if applicable)
- the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
- Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.