If you need to downgrade your licence, you can do so at a service centre. For example you may hold a licence above class C, but not passed the driving test for that class; or perhaps you've been instructed to downgrade due to age or a medical condition; or you simply might no longer need the higher class of licence.
What you'll need
- your current licence, or if this is not available, your proof of identity
- your concession card details (if applicable)
- evidence of why you need to downgrade (if involuntary) – for example, a driving test score sheet
- your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
- your medical report (if applicable)
- the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Roads and Maritime Services.
Things to keep in mind...
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
- Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Roads and Maritime Services website.