Before you can drive a heavy vehicle you need to have the appropriate licence for the class of vehicle. You can then drive any class of vehicle below your licence class, with the exception of motorcycles.

Before you apply for or upgrade a heavy vehicle licence, you need to complete the appropriate knowledge test at a service centre. Then, depending on your location, you can either pay for a heavy vehicle competency based assessment (HVCBA) from a Registered Training Organisation or pay and book the Transport for NSW (TfNSW) heavy vehicle driving test.

After completing the HVCBA or passing the driving test, you then return to a service centre for the licence.


  • for heavy vehicle licences LR and MR, you need to have held a class C licence or equivalent for one year or more
  • for a heavy vehicle HR licence, you need to have held a class C licence or equivalent for 2 years or more
  • for a heavy vehicle HC licence, you need to have held a class MR or HR licence or equivalent for one year or more.

What you need

  • check the eligibility requirements to ensure you've held the lower grade licence for the designated time
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'
  • proof of identity
  • your contact lenses or glasses if necessary, for an eyesight test
  • payment for the HVCBA or TfNSW driving test
  • endorsed HVCBA log book if completing the HVCBA, or
  • receipt for passing and paying for the TfNSW driving test.

Note: If you held an overseas licence and have only recently acquired a NSW licence, you'll also need:

  • your overseas licence/confirmation letter to verify that you have held a lower grade licence for the required period of time.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  3. Visit a service centre and submit the information in person.

More information

  • The highest level of heavy vehicle licence class is MC (multi-combination) and covers B-doubles, prime movers and road trains.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost, generally within 5 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 days, contact TfNSW on 13 22 13.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Before taking a Heavy Vehicle Driver Knowledge Test, read the Heavy Vehicle Driver Handbook, together with the Road User Handbook and the Load Restraint Guide and look at some practice tests.
  • You can take the test in different languages: see what extra support is available.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 16 January 2024