The Empowering Homes solar battery loan offer is a NSW Government initiative designed to help eligible homeowners cut their power bills by transitioning to clean, renewable energy.
There are 2 interest-free loans available:
- up to $14,000 towards a solar PV and battery system (repayable over a range of terms up to 8 years)
- up to $9000 towards retrofitting a battery system to an existing solar PV system (repayable over a range of terms up to 10 years).
Loan applications are assessed against normal lending criteria.
NSW home owner-occupiers who:
- live in one of the eligible postcodes – PDF
- have a household income of no more than $180,000 per year
- own their grid-connected home, live in it and have the authority to install the system
- satisfy the loan criteria.
What you need
Solar battery systems are not for everyone. The benefits depend on how much electricity you use and when you use it.
A solar battery system is also a significant financial investment.
To help you make an informed choice, read:
- The battery-only option is for homes with existing solar. The offer does not include solar-only options.
- Businesses are not eligible to apply. Discounts and incentives for business can be found on the Energy Saver website
- Households are more likely to benefit from a solar battery system if they:
- use a higher than average amount of electricity (more than 6,000 kilowatt hours a year)
- use most of their electricity in the mornings and evenings
- are on a time-of-use tariff with their electricity retailer or plan to switch to one
- have already implemented other energy saving measures.