Service NSW strives to create inclusive website experiences. Our aim is to provide equal access to information for all our customers, regardless of their ability or environment.
Under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, Australian Government agencies are required to ensure that information and services are provided in a non-discriminatory and accessible manner.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (known as WCAG) are an internationally recognised set of recommendations for improving web accessibility. They explain how to make digital services, websites and apps accessible to everyone.
Government websites are expected to meet Level AA of the WCAG current standard as a requirement of the Web Accessibility National Transition Strategy – PDF and the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
AccessHQ has audited the Service NSW website (service.nsw.gov.au) and the site satisfies all Level AA success criteria of WCAG 2.1.
Accessible web development and content
We've designed the website so it can be used by as many people as possible. We continue to work to improve accessibility:
- we carry out user-testing with a wide range of people and accessibility needs (cognitive, mobile, auditory and visual)
- we test on assistive devices and software such as screen readers and magnifiers
- our website design is responsive and adjusts to fit the most popular devices' screen display sizes
- we use correctly structured semantic HTML
- we include Web Accessibility Initiative – Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI-ARIA) roles for screen readers
- our search and navigation options are keyboard accessible and available on every page
- our forms are keyboard accessible and feature labels for screen readers
- we use alternative text for images
- the text size on each page is adjustable via a browser or keyboard
- our content makes use of simple paragraphs and lists for enhanced readability
- our buttons are clearly labelled.
Contact us if you need help
If you’re experiencing difficulty accessing any information or service provided by Service NSW, please get in touch with us and we'll assist you. You can: