If you want to keep a native animal, you can apply for a companion native animal keeper licence under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016.
- allows you to keep one companion native animal at a time
- is valid for 5 years.
Companion class animals are identified on the NSW Native Animal Keepers' Species List, and you'll need to nominate the species you want when you apply.
- be over 16 years of age
- not have been prosecuted under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 or other relevant legislation in NSW or any other state of Australia in the past 12 years.
What you need
- the species code as identified in the NSW Native Animal Keepers' Species List
- your concession card details (if applicable).
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in or create an account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for a companion native animal keeper licence.
For online transactions:
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).
- discounts are available for pensioners and online applications.
For phone transactions:
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
Note: You may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.