If your organisation wants to contract, sub-contract and/or advertise to carry out residential building or trade work, you'll need a contractor licence.
In your application you're required to identify a nominated supervisor, who must be an employee or supervisor of the organisation, and hold an individual contractor licence or qualified supervisor licence.
If you have an Australian Business Number (ABN), you can apply for the licence online.
If you don't have an ABN, please book an appointment to submit your application at a service centre.
The nominated supervisor must be either a full-time employee or a company director, and hold a current contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate in the related category of work.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- a current Australian identity document, such as driver licence, passport, Medicare card, to verify your identity documents
- the company's ABN
- contractor licence number if the company has a current or expired licence
- nominated supervisor details, including licence or certificate number, for each category of work being applied for
- access to a scanner, printer, and PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader
- your payment.
How to apply
To apply online:
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Complete each section of the application. You'll be asked to:
- verify your Australian identity document
- enter the ABN and confirm the details pre-populated with ASIC information
- enter an existing contractor licence number (if applicable)
- answer some questions related to your personal financial and criminal history
- select the categories of work to be carried out, and provide the nominated supervisor's licence or certificate number
- download the documents that are generated based on your responses
- get the documents signed by the relevant party
- scan and attach the signed documents and other required documents
- read and accept declaration statements
- enter your payment details.
To apply in person:
- Download and complete:
- Gather the required supporting documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application. You can book an appointment to submit your application at a service centre.