If you want to supervise residential building, and building trade and specialist work contracted for by a licensed contractor, you'll need a qualified supervisor certificate.
A holder of a qualified supervisor certificate is responsible for all work carried out under their supervision, and for ensuring:
- the work is done with due care and skill
- the relevant regulations, ordinances, codes are complied with
- that suitable materials are used.
A qualified supervisor must be an employee of the licence holder, a member of the partnership, or a director of a company holding the contractor licence.
Certificate applications must be lodged at a service centre, and you can book an appointment online.
What you'll need
- the PDF forms:
- 'Application Form - Individual'
- 'Checklist for Individuals' (based on the category of work you're applying for)
- 'Additional Details Form/s' (if applicable)
- proof of identity
- one passport size photograph
- documentation that meets the qualification requirements (certificates and transcripts from the registered training organisation)
- your referee's statement (if applicable)
- certificate of eligibility to obtain insurance (if applicable)
- your payment.
How to apply
- Download and complete:
- Gather the required supporting documentation.
- Select the 'Book an appointment' button.
- Choose your service centre.
- Schedule your appointment.
- Enter the required details.
- Attend your appointment with your application documents and payment.
- There are a number of classes, so refer to Licence Classes and Qualifications for information on eligibility.
- A qualified supervisor certificate allows the holder to supervise and carry out the work as described on their certificate.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.