When you apply for a NSW firearms licence you must provide evidence of your genuine reason for the possession and use of firearms.
The protection of yourself or another person is not considered a genuine reason.
You can have more than one genuine reason on your firearms licence.
Firearms licences are issued for 2 or 5 years with the exception of a:
- probationary pistol licence – 12 months
- provisional pistol (business/employment) – 12 months.
You must be a resident of NSW and:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be a fit and proper person to have access to firearms
- have successfully completed a firearms training and safety course applicable to the type of firearm licence you're applying for
- be able to provide evidence to justify your genuine reason for possessing or using a firearm.
What you need
- proof of identity – PDF
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- one of the following:
- a firearms safety training certificate
- your previously held firearms licence number, or
- your current interstate firearms licence number
- documentation to support each genuine reason/category
- a current credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for your payment, or
- a copy of one of the following eligible pensioner cards if you're applying for a Category A, B or H firearms licence:
- Centrelink pension concession card
- Disability support pension card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) card (including concession and health care cards)
In addition, depending on your genuine reason(s):
- if you’re applying for a licence over and above a category A firearms licence, you need:
- evidence that a ‘special need’ exists for a category B, C, D or H licence
- if you're applying for a category H firearm licence with the genuine reason of business or employment as an armed security guard, you need:
- a copy of your current 1F security licence
- a current firearms training and safety course certificate
- a letter of intent and endorsement from an approved master licensee.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- You will be taken to the NSW Police Force Community Self Service Portal.
- Check that you have all the documentation required.
- Select 'Log in with Service NSW'.
- Follow the prompts to complete your application.