Text size


To acquire a firearm you must be the holder of a current NSW firearms licence or permit. You're then able to apply for a permit to acquire a firearm (PTA).

The category of licence or permit you hold will indicate what category of firearm you're eligible to possess. For example, if you hold a category B licence or permit, you're only authorised to acquire a category B firearm.

Note: If any personal or business details have changed you must update them before you apply for your PTA.
To do so, visit either:


You must hold a current NSW firearms licence or permit, and may only apply for the type of firearm that your category of licence authorises you to possess.

Probationary pistol licence (PPL) holders can only apply for a PTA in the second 6 months of their pistol licence. You can check the issue date of your PPL on the Firearms Registry Public Register.

Note: Paintball markers are no longer regulated by the NSW Police Force. For more information visit Fair Trading.

What you need

  • proof of identity documents such as your driver licence and Medicare card
  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • your current firearm licence or permit number
  • details of the address where you'll safely store your firearm
  • a current credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for your payment (if applicable).

If you're applying to acquire a handgun for sports target shooting purposes, you'll also need:

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. You will be taken to the NSW Police Force Community Self Service Portal.
  3. Check that you have all the documentation required.
  4. Select 'Log in with Service NSW'.
  5. Follow the prompts to complete your application.

More information

  • Personal/business details include your:
    • residential address
    • business/club or government agency address
    • mailing address
    • safe storage address, or
    • mobile/phone number.
Last updated: 22 March 2023
You'll be taken to another website.