A fireworks (single use) licence (FSUL) allows you to purchase, possess, use, store and transport fireworks.

The licence is only valid for the single event that you nominate in your application, and you're only permitted to hold the type and quantity of fireworks for no more than 5 working days prior to the display.

A single event can be any of the following:

  • a one day event
  • an event that runs for up to 3 consecutive days
  • an extended display that runs longer than 3 consecutive days, but no longer than 3 months for an organised public event, or 12 months for a theatrical display.

The licence covers the following fireworks types:

  • ground display fireworks
  • theatrical and indoor fireworks
  • Chinese string fireworks.

You can apply for up to 4 FSULs in any 12 months.

If you want to use fireworks often, or include aerial shell type fireworks in your displays, you'll need to apply for a pyrotechnician's licence.


You must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • have received the appropriate training or instruction from a person holding a current pyrotechnician's licence (or permit).

What you need

  • access to a printer
  • the application fee
  • to confirm that you've completed the fireworks display checklist – PDF and written your risk assessment
  • a JP certified copy of photo ID as indicated on the application form
  • JP certified copies, and details of, interstate explosives licence/s (if applicable)
  • the name, licence details and signature of the licensee who trained you, or a written statement from them confirming your training in the use of the nominated fireworks
  • details of the fireworks supplier
  • the type and quantity of fireworks
  • the personal and contact details of your assistants
  • the type, duration, location and dates of the display
  • evidence that you've notified all appropriate agencies/parties
  • if you're providing less than 7 days notice to SafeWork NSW, or applying for an extended display:
    • a letter from the appropriate council confirming there is no objection to the display, OR
    • a copy of your aquatic event licence if the display is on waters regulated by Transport for NSW.
  • the PDF form – 'Fireworks (single use) licence application'.

How to apply

  1. Ensure you've written your risk report, as SafeWork NSW may request it.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  3. Complete, print and sign the form.
  4. Collect all the required documentation.
  5. Submit your application with payment by mail, email or fax, to the details on the form.

More information

As an FSUL holder, you must:

Last updated: 29 April 2024

Rate the information on the page